Abandonment rate is a concerning issue worldwide for all the e-commerce websites. According to CLSA 2015 data, retailers lose $18 billion annually due to shopping card abandonment. The average documented online shopping cart abandonment rate is 68.06%. So make sure you have great ecommerce technology team or e-commerce enabler partner concern and know how to decrease abandonment rate.
1. Slow loading time. Do you know around 48% of consumers expect a webpage to load in 2 seconds or less? Don’t let the blank screen meet your customer at the first sight. To prevent this, always test the load time with Google Page Speed insight.
2. Poor product presentation. 3% of carts which are abandoned happen due to confusing product information, or very lack information, or worse, there is none information at all to get for your customer. For example, if you sell clothing fashion, it’s necessary to describe what material it is made, the detail visibility, the color variant, size, etc. Review from other customers about the product is important as well.
3. Complicated customer service. Don’t you know that customers have had enough of automated responses? Why you don’t give this soft approach, using human faces in the pictures related to the contact forms, phone number and email? Just an idea, but quite good to give a more trust in caring your customer better. The must have in other things, use video tutorials, FAQ summaries, and structure and clear help platform.
4. Ineffective search. The search will either help or bother the online shopper. You can choose which one gonna bring you more business. Solution for this are check the search field on a regular basis. And then you can analyze data and see people who use search field convert at a higher rate. About this, using clear smart filter in ecommerce website is believed bring more conversion rate almost 65% than other that use no filter.
5. Lack of trust. It’s online but doesn’t mean customer cannot gain your trustworthy. Always see as your customer perspective that they need guarantee they will but good product, secured and delivered. Put your guarantee badge on the top of the page or product detail page, that it is original, secured, etc. You can add testimonials, star rating, and comment for product reviews.
6. Unavailable delivery and returns policy. Of carts abandoned happen due to no shipping information available. 44% of shoppers leave a cart due to high shipping cost. So make sure, you provide delivery company information, time of delivery, cost (free shipping or delivery preferred), and how to return the product if something is wrong with it.
written by Afril Wibisono